3.30.2005


stickin' it to me

upyernoz hit me! Ouch! I'd retaliate, but he's already been struck himself. And since I am a law-abiding blog citizen, I shall comply:

You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be?
If this question is geared to solicit which is my official most hated book that I would like to see burned to ash and gone, I think my previous post answers that and let us never speak of it again. If this question is aimed at determining what book I would memorize in order to save it for future generations, I reckon I'd have to go with the The Quran - the edition edited by Abdullah Yusuf Ali because those footnotes really help.

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?
Yes. I'd have to admit to: Holden Caufield, Encyclopedia Brown, Richard Jury, Fiddler, Lord Goring, Westley, Han Solo, Scylla . . . I could go on but I think I've embarrassed myself enough now.

The last book you bought is:
Road to Makkah by Muhammad Asad - ok, kk? are you happy? ;)

The last book you read:
The last book I finished and didn't abandon (see previous post) was The Known World by Edward P. Jones - fascinating account of a former-slave-turned-master's life and the effects his death had on his family, friends, and slaves in the pre- and post- Civil War era. I promise to get it back to you soon, Oz.

What are you currently reading?
The Final Solution by Michael Chabon

Five books you would take to a desert island.
Well, since I've already memorized the Quran (see above):
  • Life of Pi by Yann Martel - entertaining fiction plus would give me good survival tips
  • Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris - even though I've read or heard portions of it so often
  • One of them there Norton Anthologies or Shakesperian Anthologies or Woody Allen Anthologies; let's just say something in the anthology category
  • The First 280 Years of Monty Python by Kim "Howard" Johnson - where, I suppose, in my sheer and utter loneliness I would play all of the characters and do all of the voices and walk all of the walks
  • One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez - because, much to my chagrin, I never got past the first chapter even though I really want to and on a desert island, I think it would come in handy; in fact, perhaps I shouldn't read it now just in case I do get stranded so at least I'll have something new to read.
Who are you going to pass this stick to (3 persons) and why?
Yasmine, KK, and Owl- because they are the most vocal, thoughtful, and thorough of my bibliophilic blogging buddies (woulda hit up BAQ too, but I can only list three and he only updates about once a quarter century).
(psst - Abez, Bness, Chai, and the rest of you alphabetic bloggers are welcome to accept the stick as well, but those three have mandatory orders to accept.)

No comments: