5.02.2007

Excuse for Shopping

Yes, kids, it's true. Having a child will change you: physically, mentally, emotionally, economically, and spiritually. I was prepared for most of it. But the physical changes? I'm still not wrapping my head around that. I used to be skinny. Not slender. Not willowy. Not any other slimming poetic something or other. Skinny. As in, my clavicle was like a wire hanger. As in, I could fit into size 0 - 2 jeans. As in, if I turned sideways, I would disappear.

But then I hit 30 and my metabolism plummeted. Add to that the fact that I hated exercise but didn't change my eating habits. Stir in one baby and you've got the new me: tossing out my too-tight clothes, shopping for a bigger size shoe, and still not grasping that my body has changed so much that not only my belly, but my shoulders and hips and feet have morphed.

I kind of like having a little shelf (formerly known as my washboard abs) upon which to rest ZP when I'm carrying him around. But with the summer season fast approaching, I'm thinking that these bulky sweaters and eye-distracting layers are not going to be helping me much. Still, I really do hate exercising. Honestly, the only time I don't mind running is if someone is chasing me or if I am chasing someone. I was forced to play sports in high school (softball and field hockey) but once I was free of the requirements, I was quite content to count among the most strenuous of activities a vigorous Scrabble match. I've started walking to the Metro now which, in addition to the walk from the Metro to work, gives me about half an hour of fast-paced exercise. Isn't that enough? *sigh*

11 comments:

wayfarer said...

I'm going through this too. I recently weaned the little dude and the weight piled on - like 15 pounds (i'm tall so it's not as bad as it sounds but it's bad). i didn't realize how many calories nursing burned. I lost the weight from it and now i'm gaining because of it. I'm walking a lot now and slowly it's dropping but man o man, no kidding about metabolism changing.

wayfarer said...

good choice of shoes btw. :-)

baj said...

yeah, it's crazy b/c i guess your body keeps a lot in reserve when you are nursing and then, when you stop, your body doesn't get the message and you end up with 'dunlops disease'. ;) as for my shoes - love 'em! i had a pair in green, but got paint on them. i had a pair in white, but tore holes in them. this is my third pair. let's see how long they last.

Crazed Teacher said...

u know baji i hate walking jogging excercising ..and my favourite ultimate truth of life is that pleasant jogging is an oxymoron

Anonymous said...

I hear your pain!! Just wait until you have another one! And from what I understand, exercise isn't going to make the belly go away! UGH! I am slowly trying to convince myself that being one or two sizes bigger isn't so bad...especially since I LOVE to eat (junk food, of course) and hate to exercise!

Anonymous said...

Guess what, Baji? I joined the gym! And I've been doing YOGA. At 7:30am! Your world just turned upside-down, didn't it? And then right-side-up again, and then upside-down. Your head is all jiggly now. I'm sorry about that. My point is, if I, whose favorite form of exercise involves the crunching of teeth on bacon (or the hopping up and down that is the necessary background to shouting "Berries and Cream"), can be converted, so can you. I recommend yoga. I do not recommend spinning, which made me want to die.

Come to NYC; we'll do yoga while eating. It'll be awesome.

baj said...

ushi - i totally and completely agree. i don't get those people who enjoy running. they are crazy/lying!

bf - in a way, i would prefer to know that exercise isn't going to help b/c then i can stop feeling guilty about not exercising! LOL!

gj - my mind has just exploded. YOU? up at 7:30?! and EXERCISING?! it must be angela's doing, no? i would love to come to NYC! and i'll only join you in yoga if you promise that what we'll be eating will be sushi. that angela will pick up for us. at 9pm.

Anonymous said...

Let me remind you what happened AFTER angela brought us sushi at 9pm. ahem. do you really want to repeat that experience? i know i don't.

baj said...

are you perhaps confusing me for my sensitive tummied sister?

Anonymous said...

No. Sensitive EYES, Baji. Although since you've forgotten, I should stop trying to remind you.

baj said...

GAH!!! NOW i remember! nonetheless, i'm prepared this time and so will risk another unexpected show in exchange for hand-delivered sushi.