7.15.2008

Just What the Doctor Ordered

By special request from Julestress (and anyone else who has sampled this dish, the recipe of which I was given by my mother exactly 20 years ago but the recollection of which my mother has none).

Fixin's:
  • Chicken breast (cut into bite-sized pieces or huge slabs, your choice).
  • 1 cup plain yogurt (why she felt the need to specify it should be plain instead of, say, strawberry, I'm not sure).
  • 1 tsp. grated ginger (thank goodness for modern grocery stores where they do the grating for ye).
  • 1 tsp. cumin (best if you buy the seeds and then grind it yourself because then the spice is fresher).
  • 1 tsp. coriander (same as above)
  • 1 tsp. salt (or a pinch less, as you prefer)
  • 1 tsp. pepper (or a pinch more, as you prefer)
  • 1 tsp. turmeric (do you see a theme here for the portions of spices?)
  • 1/4 cup cooking oil (again, did she think I would use motor oil?)
  • 1 minced onion ("medium," she says.  heh.  we're lucky she didn't say, "just the right amount of onion."

How to:
  • Mix the yogurt, oil, spices, and onion in a bowl to tenderize the chicken
  • Place the chicken into the mixture and, if in slab form, stab it a bit with a fork to tenderize it some more.  (Yaz, I'm looking in your direction)
  • Marinate (yay!  she got it right!  it's marinate, not marinade) for 2 hours or over night
  • Bake uncovered in baking pan at 350 degress for 45 minutes.

Final Touch:
  • Garnish with cilantro, as you please
  • Call me when it's ready.  I'll even bring along my own fork.

1 comment:

yasmine said...

ooooh, i demand THIS yummyliciousness at the next renewunion! wherever it is!

if in slab form, stab it a bit with a fork to tenderize it some more. (Yaz, I'm looking in your direction)

hahahaha thanks for the shout-out, baji baj! knew i could always count on your appreciation re. stabbing sessions and pointy weaponry.

which reminds me, i referenced 'dagger chappals' in conversation sometime during the course of our recent toronto visit, and someone laughed. i can't remember the context of the convo now, and who was amused, but i thought you might be glad to know SOMEONE was! =)