9.09.2004

Well, gang, recapping this weekend's events is quite an undertaking. So many people to thank, so many activities to recount, so many funny moments, touching moments, crazy hectic madness moments to share. Scratch that. Not "so many"; "too many." Apologies, but snippets are the best I can do right now.

Wednesday: Clarksville Fish with the grandparents on the deck in the backyard. You know what I'm talking about Chai, H-Bid, Izbot, LB, Broheem, Chan (man, I got a big fat bloggin' family!).

Thursday: Groom arrives and we have a Mayun at our dear friends house that evening. I sat still for four hours while master mehndi artist Basherunissa decorated my hands and my feet with intricate, delicate, arabesque designs. Food from Shalimar piled high on everyone's plates and piled low on my lap as LB tried to feed me. Note the "tried" choice of words. (psst - just teasing, LB. You are the best and everyone else is the worst).

Friday: Three hours spent at the airport to greet the out-of-town guests while my incredibly hard-working, wonderful, creative family (especially Literaunty) transformed a simple white tent into the glorious, glittery, flowery Mehndi Party Central. That night, with fresh daisies and marigolds circling my neck, with energetic dancers and enthusiastic singers at my feet, and with dazzling candle lights and swirling colors and beaming smiles filling my eyes, I spent my last few hours as "regular Baji" with my family and friends.

Saturday: Nikkah Time! My loving, supportive, amazing parents sat to my left as the Imam read the khutbah and announced to the witnesses and guests that the loving, funny, intelligent man sitting to my right was now my husband. My better half. My old man. My ball and chain. Call me "Mrs. Baji"!

Saturday Night: Wedding reception was held at the Brown Hotel in Louisville. My aunt, who owns a beauty salon in Islamabad, was gracious and accommodating and acceded to my wishes to have very light make-up on my face. My LB fixed my hair up so I could leave it down. I managed not to trip a single time whilst loping around in my trailing lengha which my grandparents gave me and my aunts designed and brought for me from Pakistan; it was fairy-tale pretty (I had not laid eyes upon it until two days before) and, thankfully, was a perfect fit (I had not tried it on until two days before). I've told some of you this already, but it bears repeating. Thanks to my parents, my aunts and uncles, and my cousins and friends who did all of the hard-work, took on all of the planning, and pulled off all of the parties, all that was left for me was pure joy. Unlike many brides, I actually had a great time at my own wedding. Apparently, I have won the title to "the most relaxed bride ever".

Sunday: Brunch at my generous, guest-loving parents' house for the stragglers who managed to get up in the afternoon and attend. After naps for some, shopping for some, and playing chauffeur for some, we opened some prezzies, watched the wedding videos, and called the weekend a success. Thanks for attending and sticking around until the bitter end, Amaal and Upyernoz!

Wanna see more pix? The price of admission is YOU sending ME a pix of yourself first. Ok, kids. Gotta run. My soul mate wants to use the computer now. ;)

No comments: